Pages

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Serena Williams ousted from Wimbledon by Sabine Lisicki

Serena Williams,Wimbledon,Sabine Lisicki

London - Serena Williams has joined the list of marquee names eliminated early at this wild and unpredictable Wimbledon.

World No.1, defending champion, and five-time Wimbledon winner Serena Williams was defeated by 23rd seed Sabine Lisicki of Germany 6-2, 1-6, 6-4 in the fourth round of Wimbledon on Monday, becoming the latest tennis giant to make a surprise exit from the tournament. It also ended Williams' career-best 34-match winning streak.

Williams join second seed Victoria Azarenka and world number three Maria Sharapova out of the women's tournament, while defending champion Roger Federer and two-time Wimbledon winner Rafael Nadal suffered shock exits from the men's draw in the first week.

"I probably couldn't be more disappointed," Williams said. "I think I may have backed off of a success. I was playing something successful. I didn't continue that path. The result didn't go the way it could have gone had I continued to play the way I did in the second set."

No comments:

Post a Comment