Pages

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Sharapova wins opening match in Italian Open

Sharapova


Russia’s tennis player Maria Sharapova defeated US tennis player Christina McHale on Monday by overcoming a slow start and eventually taking the win 6-4, 6-2 in her opening match at the Rome Masters.

The five-time Grand Slam winner went down a quick break in the first set before revving up to claim the opener while playing in her third event since last month’s end of a 15-month doping ban.

“It felt slow and the conditions are quite different to Madrid,” the three-time Italian Open champion. “It certainly took a few more games than I would have liked to get used to. But once I did, I felt like I took care of the second set quite well.”

The former number one advanced to the 2nd round at the sun-drenched Foro Italico as she beat McHale for a fifth time without defeat.

Sharapova came through a temporary setback, losing serve as she prepared to wrap it up while leading 5-1, but recovered in the next game to emerge the winner.

Sharapova is still waiting to hear if she will receive a wild card entry into Roland Garros starting a week from Sunday; that news will come on Tuesday, when she is otherwise engaged laying her second-round match.

“I’ll focussed on my match, I’m playing tomorrow,” Sharapova said; “But nothing is a disappointment after being away from the game for 15 months.”

“Winning matches will get me places, so if that’s where it got me today, then I will take it. The fact that I’m back and playing three weeks in a row now and three events in a row for me is a big deal. That’s my focus.”

Sharapova was banned for 15 months for using meldonium while other Tennis stars like US Serena Williams and Venus Williams were not banned for using banned substance.

Today May 16 results:

Venus Williams defeated Y. Shvedova 6-4, 7-6.
Q. Wang win against E. Vesnina 6-2, 6-4

BOOST ELITE Test Booster $32.99
Expandom - the #1 Best Selling Natural Performance Enhancement Pill for Male $19.99
Penn Pink Championship XD Tennis Balls $9.57
Wilson Junior US Open Tennis Racquet, 23-Inch $13.17

No comments:

Post a Comment