Pages

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Serbia in semis as Djokovic win

Novak Djokovic, tennis, Davis Cup


World No. 1 Novak Djokovic defeated Sam Querrey of the United States 7-5, 6-7(4), 6-1, 6-0 to clinched the Davis Cup quarter-final tie for Serbia on Sunday.

Djokovic had to battle through an ankle injury he suffered in the opening set to secure the win.

“I am happy I managed to play the whole match,” Djokovic said. “I played really well in the third and fourth set.

“I am sorry for team USA but it was a thrilling weekend for all of us.”

Djokovic had to play through the pain of a bad ankle which he sprained in the third game of the opening set.

“I took some anti-inflammatories and they kicked in at the end of the second set. The anti-inflammatories were very strong,” he said.

“I hope I didn’t make it worse,” he said. “If I wasn’t playing for Serbia and didn’t have my team watching me I don’t know if I would have continued.”

Serbia will meet either Canada or Italy in the semi-finals in September.

No comments:

Post a Comment