Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Serena, Venus lead United States to Fed Cup World Group Playoff

Serena Williams,Sofia Arvidsson,Serena

Serena Williams,Sofia Arvidsson,Serena

Venus Williams beat Johanna Larsson 6-3, 7-5 to give the U.S. team a 3-1 lead against Sweden in the Fed Cup World Group Playoff. Earlier, her sister and World No. 1 Serena gave the U.S. team a 2-1 lead when she overwhelmed 54th-ranked Sofia Arvidsson with a 6-2, 6-1 win.

"The hardest thing was trying to decide when to play which one," "At the end of the day, experience just goes a long way. Venus has been there so many times before. To have her in that clinching match for me was really important." U.S. captain Mary Joe Fernandez said.

"To be honest, I wanted to be out there, I told Mary Joe yesterday I feel good, I feel positive. I pumped myself up and I wanted to be there for the team." Venus Williams said.

The final score was 3-2 after the U.S. defaulted the doubles match, giving the doubles point to Sweden, due to injury of three of four of the American players.

The victory guarantees the U.S. a spot in the coveted 2014 Fed Cup World Group, while Sweden will play 2014 World Group II action.

No comments:

Post a Comment