Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Venus Williams falls to Urszula in first round of French Open

Venus Williams,Urszula Radwanska,Radwanska,Serena Williams,Tennis

Venus Williams,Urszula Radwanska,Radwanska,Serena Williams,Tennis

Tennis Player Venus Williams bow out in the first round of the French Open for only the second time as she lost to Urszula Radwanska of Poland 7-6 (7-5) 6-7 (4-7) 6-4.

Radwanska, 22, defeated the seven-time Grand Slam champion Venus William, 32, in three hours and 20 minutes, despite blowing a 4-0 lead in the second-set tie-break.

She will face German qualifier Dinah Pfizenmaier in the next round.

Serena Williams, Venus's sister progressed on the opening day, as did Roger Federer and David Ferrer in the men's tournament.

She was asked if this would be her final French Open, she said "If it's the last match, I'll let you know. That's pretty much how it works."

Venus, who is suffering from Sjogren's syndrome - an incurable immune system disease - has now lost in the first round twice in the last four Grand Slams following her early exit at Wimbledon last year.

"With what I've gone through, it's not easy," she added. "But I'm strong and I'm a fighter."

"I don't think I'm just playing for me now. I'm playing for a lot of people who haven't felt well. It's a positive to be able to play three hours."

No comments:

Post a Comment